Here’s an Oscar-worthy video about my new book

I’ve been a writer ever since I won second prize in a fifth grade “prose and poetry” contest. I’m also a Presbyterian pastor, and I’ve served churches in New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan, and Florida. Today I am pastor of the International Protestant Church of Zürich, Switzerland.

7 Responses to Here’s an Oscar-worthy video about my new book

1. David Bayer July 10, 2017 at 10:19 am #

Hi Doug, Great video! We just ordered our copy, and look forward to it’s arrival on Wednesday.
    Warm regards, Dave and Jackie

• Doug July 11, 2017 at 9:56 am #

Thanks, Dave. It’s good to hear from you! My best to you and Jackie. Miss you.

2. Fred July 10, 2017 at 12:05 pm #

Well Done, Doug,
    And thanks, its now on by stack of TBR, but right behind the Atonement materials I’m wading through, especially Rene Gisard and “memic theory” as the source of violence in sin.

The Video is helpful, and, of course Zurich is beautiful, and you look terrific and sound good as well–just the right touch.

Just one thought, and it came to me in morning prayer today, as the psalmist was imploring God to remember the poor. I’ve long wondered why, in the U.S., the country is so insensitive to the needs of the poor, and I think it is more than the “rugged individualism” that helped shape some of the country in the 18th and 19th centuries. Increasingly, I’ve come to recognize the blatant racism that lies behind it. And, I suspect that has much to do with the resistance to inter-culture/racial congregations in the U.S. and perhaps a significant different than what you experience there in Zurich–there has not been the history of slavery and racism there as here.

Anyway, a thought, and I’ll hold it for further conversation until I’ve read your book.
    How many is this, now?

Congratulations,

fra

• Doug July 11, 2017 at 9:53 am #

Hi Fred. Thanks as always for the comment. I look forward to your thoughts about the book, and I look forward to your thoughts about the pesky subject of the atonement. (It’s time for you to finish the research and get something written!)

When I pitched the book idea to my editor-in-chief at Eerdmans, he asked essentially the question that you are asking: “Aren’t all of your church members rich bankers?” The answer to that question, which I give in the introduction, is no. The congregation is quite diverse in all respects. In spite of a strong social safety net here in Switzerland, some of our people barely get by, meaning that the church helps some members in various ways – rent, medical bills, food, etc. To answer your question more thoroughly will require more research, and of course I welcome more careful attention to the dynamics of the multicultural church.

A good summer to you in Vermont! And my best to Questa.

3. Carl Wilton July 11, 2017 at 11:14 am #

Doug, are there any plans for Eerdmans to bring your book out in Kindle format? And how about an electronic sample that can be viewed on Amazon? Looks like your publisher is a bit behind on this – I would have thought they would have had that all in place on publication day.

• Doug July 11, 2017 at 11:19 am #

Hi Carl. Eerdmans brought out two previous books in Kindle and has plans for doing the same with this one. I noticed that the “look inside” feature was not yet available. The official publication date was July 7, so they have indeed missed by a few days. I’ve got some nice pre-publication blurbs too that have not been posted, but I do not have access to the Amazon site and can’t make those additions. Thanks for the heads up.

• Doug July 13, 2017 at 12:41 am #

Hi Carl. Just heard from the publisher that the ebook version is available 40 days after launch, with the eventual goal of making a simultaneous launch. The “look inside” feature takes about a week after launch and has something to do with the metadata stuff on the Amazon side. This probably sounds different from the information you got from your publisher, so maybe I should work with your people next time!